The Friends started in April 2005 after our Senior Partner, Dr Neal placed a notice in Reception suggesting that it would be nice to have a “Friends of the Practice”.
Its remit was to include:
- Continuing constructive criticism of the services provided by the Practice.
- Joint planning of new services.
- To provide a patient representative political wing to the Practice in its discussions with the local NHS.
Since its inception, the Friends have raised over £65,000 and purchased defibrillators, pulse oximeters, ABP monitors, physiotherapy equipment and much, much more including, within the last 12 months:
- An exercise bike and treadmill for use in the Physiotherapy department at Cosham Park House
- New, more comfortable seating for the Paulsgrove surgery
- A wall-mounted children’s play area for Kingston Crescent Surgery
- New couches for consultation rooms at Crookhorn and at Cosham Park House
- Larger capacity weighing scales for use at Kingston Crescent and Cosham Park House
- Portable respiratory equipment used at Cosham Park House, Crookhorn, Paulsgrove and Kingston Crescent
Money has been raised by organising functions such as Race Nights, Quiz Nights, Coffee mornings and afternoon teas. Bingo is played once a month and we have also played skittles in various venues.
Tabletop sales are regularly held at Crookhorn Surgery and it is planned to also hold these at the surgeries in Kingston Crescent and Cosham.
The committee meets once a month at Cosham Park House on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6:00pm. Meetings last for an hour to hour and half.
We class all patients to be “Friends”. Anyone is invited to our meetings but only current members have a vote.
New members of the committee are urgently required and if you are interested in joining this fantastic group please contact us.